In this Article
As we lead busy lives, we, sometimes, forget to connect with the ones who raised us into the people we’ve become. Parents play a big role in the lives of their children. The health, emotional wellbeing and education of children are at risk without them. It cannot be more true in the current times when most parents are struggling to keep themselves and their children safe from COVID-19. Their unconditional love and selfless devotion help their family make it through such challenging times.
To honour their contributions, the United Nations General Assembly established the Global Day of Parents in 2012, which is celebrated every year on the 1st of June all around the world. This day encourages both the children and the parents to spend time with each other to create cherishable memories. In this post, we shall talk a little more on the Global Day of Parents and also share some ideas you can use to celebrate the day with your parents.
History of Parents’ Day
Initially, Parents’ Day was established in 1994. A congressional resolution was signed by the then President, Bill Clinton, to commemorate Parents’ Day to promote parental responsibilities. However, it was only in 2012 that the day was recognised as Global Day of Parents’ by the United Nations General Assembly in the honour of all the parents in the world. Although Parent’s Day is celebrated on different dates in different countries, Global Day of Parents is celebrated on the 1st of June.
Why Is Parents’ Day Celebrated?
Parents’ Day or Global Day of Parents recognises the role of parents in the lives of their children. The day is celebrated to promote family commitment and honour parents throughout the world. Global Day of Parents is celebrated for a number of reasons such as the ones given below:
1. For Deeper Bonding
People who lead busy lives hardly get time to disconnect from work and spend quality time with their parents. Global Day of Parents helps such people to spend a full day with their parents. They can talk about the things that have been troubling them, or things that they always wanted to share with them, thus keeping the parent-child bond strong.
2. Showing Your Appreciation
Gratitude is a really powerful emotion. When you show gratitude to your parents on this day and appreciate them for who they are, there’s something that lights up inside you. Parents’ Day gives you a chance to show how thankful you are. Many people visit their parents and give them flowers and gifts on this day.
3. Celebrating a Timeout
On this day, working parents get to enjoy a timeout from their daily grind. Children sometimes volunteer with household chores and let them take it easy. Parents find it delightful to watch their young ones grow into responsible adults. Global Day of Parents is a public holiday in many countries so that employees, universities, and organisations recognise it. As for celebrations, it’s also a day for reunions and parties. You celebrate to your heart’s content with the people you cherish most, your parents, and that’s what counts!
When Is Parents’ Day Celebrated Globally?
Parent’s Day or Global Day of Parents is celebrated globally on the 1st of June every year.
This year, make the day special for your parents using one of the celebration ideas given below.
Parents’ Day Celebration Ideas
Are you thinking about how to celebrate Global Day of Parents in style? We’ve got some ideas. There are many things you can do with your parents and children. The key is to pick an activity everybody in the family can enjoy.
1. Make Dinner Together
Making dinner or a meal together is a great way to bond on Parent’s Day. You get to show off your culinary repertoire and also learn a few tricks from your folks. The goal of this activity is to have fun cooking and baking with the entire family. And the reward is, of course, the yummy food on the table. Now, this idea is a great one for the families living together. Those who cannot meet their parents because of social distancing might want to try something else, such as the next ideas.
2. Sit Down With Your Family Album
If you’ve made a scrapbook, you’re all set. If you haven’t already, it’s time to start making one. Sit down with your family album (on a video call if you are socially distancing) and take a look at your parents’ childhood photos. You can spend the day reminiscing about the events attached to those photos. And to make it even better, you can take a family photo every year on Global Day of Parents and add it to your album.
3. Say Thank You
The best way to celebrate Global Day of Parents is to thank your parents. Considering the current times, you may want to give a personal visit and a big warm hug a pass if you think you might be exposed to the coronavirus, and use technology instead. So, send a text message or call them and make their day special by thanking them for everything they have done for you.
Another way to express your thoughts and feelings to your parents on Global Day of Parents is by sending them a beautiful message with a quote. Don’t worry; you don’t have to go searching the web for these quotes and wishes. Read on for some of the best Parents’ Day quotes and wishes.
Parents Day Quotes and Wishes
Surprise your parents with a beautiful quote and a wish from the ones listed below on the Global Day of Parents:
- Parents – the biggest blessing for a child. I am lucky to have such amazing parents like you! Happy Parents’ Day!
- Your support means the world to me. Your love, God’s blessings. I feel so lucky I cannot express my feelings. All I can say is I love you and wish you a very happy parents’ day!
- You know I love books, but my inspiration comes from the two of you, who taught me how to read. Thank you for being there for me always. I love you, ma and pa. I wish you a very happy parents’ day!
- Not a day goes by when I don’t consider myself lucky to be born to the two of you. Mom and dad, you are the most adorable parents in the world. Thank you for filling my life with dreams and hopes. Wish you a happy parents’ day!
- Everything I am today is because of you, mom and dad. Your prayers help me climb the tallest of mountains every time I get to them. I can’t thank you enough for your kindness, love and care. Happy Parent’s Day!
- When you look into your mother’s eyes, you know that is the purest love you can find on this earth. – Mitch Albom
- First your parents, they give you your life, but then they try to give you their life. ― Chuck Palahniuk
- All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my mother. – Abraham Lincoln
- Behind every young child who believes in herself is a parent who believed first.” – Matthew Jacobson
- The thing about parenting rules is there aren’t any. That’s what makes it so difficult. —Ewan McGregor
This Global Day of Parents, honour your parents and give them the gift of love. Spend the entire day with them and cherish every moment you spend together. After all, love, time and a little bit of creativity are all you’ll need to strengthen your bond with your family.